Do not fear risotto! It’s EASY to make. If you’ve got 30 minutes and you can stir – you can make risotto.
Tonight I decided to try a mexican spin with lime, tomatoes, green chiles, beans, and cheese.
Huge hit and I was happy to make something new for my family that didn’t take too long to put together. School is kicking my butt this semester so I’ve been pretty checked out at home. The weather today was awful, windy, and bitterly cold so I knew I needed to “check in,” show my love, and make something comforting and warm.
And now it’s time to check out again and head back to the books, stay warm everyone!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup arborio rice
- ¼ cup lime juice (approximately 2 fresh limes)
- 2-4 cups chicken or vegetable stock, warmed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 oz can diced tomatoes & green chiles, drained
- 15 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in 2-quart saucepan. Cook onions until softened, then stir in rice. Cook and stir about 2 minutes until rice begins to get translucent. Stir in lime juice.
- Once the lime juice has been absorbed stir in chicken/vegetable stock ⅓ cup at a time, stirring constantly, adding more once the stock is absorbed.
- Continue adding stock and stirring about 20-25 minutes until rice becomes creamy. Stir in salt.
- Remove from heat, stir in cheese, then gently stir in tomatoes and chiles and finally the beans.