Got rice flour? Some gluten free cereal? String cheese? You have the basic ingredients for mozzarella sticks!
Oh! Patience! You also need patience! You have to freeze the cheese. Otherwise they’ll be all gooey and you’ll say phooey!
Hokey rhymes aside, you seriously MUST freeze the cheese sticks until frozen solid. This allows them to fry long enough to crisp up on the outside.
Initially I tried for healthy and tried a million different ways to make oven-baked mozzarella cheese sticks. It was disappointing with each try. Then I fried them and yep, that’s exactly what I was looking for. Mmmmm… Queue the happy comfort food stupor.
Ya know, sometimes we just need to go all out, full fat, deep fried, and enjoy every bite. These cheese sticks were AWESOME once I gave up on “healthy” and decided to deep fry the suckers.
It was super fun watching my 6 year have her first cheese stick ever. And of course now she asks for them every day (not gonna happen btw!). I can’t blame the kid though, I wish I could eat fair food every day too 🙂
- 6 string cheese sticks, cut in half
- 2 cups Rice Chex (or similar GF) cereal
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- peanut oil or canola oil for frying
- Place cheese sticks on wax paper, in freezer until frozen solid, about 4 hours. (Do not skip this step or you will end up with a gooey inedible mess!)
- Crush cereal then mix in a pie plate with the italian seasoning. In another bowl whisk together brown rice flour, salt, and sugar.
- Remove cheese sticks from freezer. Dip in flour mixture, then dip into the eggs, then back into the flour mixture, then back into the eggs one last time. From there dip them into the cereal mix and coat thoroughly. THINK: flour, eggs, flour, eggs, cereal.
- Place sticks back on the wax paper and then back into the freezer for 20 minutes. Meanwhile heat 1.5 inches of oil to about 350 degrees (or use a fry daddy, that's what I did, less messy).
- Fry mozzarella sticks, just a few at a time, for 2-3 minutes until dark golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels. Give your fryer oil time to heat back up between batches since you are essentially dropping ice cubes into it.
- Serve immediately with marinara or ranch sauce.