This recipe was originally published Apr 22, 2012. The photograph has been updated.
Perfect for summer holidays, BBQs, and picnics. I’ve got an easy one for you today.
It’s one of those simple (and cheap!) side dishes to put together that gets rave reviews at picnics. The cucumbers give it a cool refreshing crunch while the sauce adds a little tang.
The cucumbers are lightly pickled and while sour cream works in this recipe, I love that I can sub in greek yogurt and it’s fantastic!
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled and sliced into approximately ¼" rounds
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2-3 tbsp mayonnaise
- ¼ cup plain greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped dill (or 1 tsp dried)
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Combine sliced cucumbers, vinegar, and salt in a medium bowl. Place in fridge and let sit 30 minutes. You're essentially pickling the cucumbers slightly during this part. Drain the cucumbers in a colander and allow to drain for 30 minutes (I've done as little as 5 though when in a rush with still good results).
- Transfer cucumbers to a medium bowl. Stir in mayonnaise, greek yogurt, chopped dill, and pepper. Chill in fridge until ready to serve.