Sweet Potato and Coconut Milk Soup. Sounds like a New Year’s resolution kind of soup doesn’t it? But the thing is, I actually created this recipe over a year ago and it was one of those “pretending I’m on Chopped” kind of scenarios.
If you’ve never seen the TV show Chopped, it’s a series where they give 4 chefs a random list of ingredients and they have 20 minutes to create a dish using all the ingredients (and of course there’s always some totally weird one thrown in).
For whatever reason I had a mostly empty pantry. Thus this soup was born and I am so glad it was! It has become one of our favorites and I love that it’s accidentally healthy. Gluten free, meatless, dairy free & even vegan as long as you don’t add the optional swirl of cream on top. I don’t use a single oil and the only fat comes from the coconut milk.
It’s spicy without being hot.
Plus it’s beautiful & makes for great lunch leftovers.
I suppose it is a good “diet” soup or “healthy” soup but I did it without meaning to and I love when that happens because it always tastes the best.
It’s a great way to start the New Year on the blog & a welcome excuse to make it again. I think you’ll like it just as much as I do. Enjoy!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cooked, skins removed, and mashed
- 1 can coconut milk (lite coconut milk can also be used)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground oregano
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 habanero pepper, intact
- 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
- Cream or Half & Half
- In large pot combine all ingredients except the black beans and optional garnishments. The habanero pepper is used much like a bay leaf.
- Bring to a low simmer, cover, and cook about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove habanero and discard (or eat if you dare!).
- Put soup into a blender or use an immersion blender to blend to a smooth consistency.
- Gently stir in beans, top with garnishments if desired.