Sometimes I like to pretend I’m on the show Chopped and I only have a few ingredients to work with.
Sometimes I don’t need to pretend because yesterday was grocery day but I never made it and today I was too busy and, whoa, I have no food! What the heck will I make for dinner!?
The one thing I never run out of is beef since we buy it once a year from a rancher. I had one sort of sad looking orange in the fruit bowl and a head (bunch?) of broccoli in the veggie drawer. What a great combo!
I let it simmer in the crockpot most of the afternoon, served it over rice, and it was anything but boring! It was orange-y but not too orange-y (I make up words).
The soy sauce added flavor without completely taking over the flavor if you know what I mean. Now I’m totally thinking of Ernest, “know what I mean Vern!”. Off topic alert: I watched Ernest Goes to Camp 76 times. Not recently or anything though. Unfortunately.
Anyways I can’t sit here typing forever and making a looooong post all about how this recipe is short and easy. That would make no sense. Hope you all enjoy 🙂
- 2-lbs tip steak, sliced
- ½ cup beef broth
- ¼ cup gluten free soy sauce
- zest of 1 orange
- juice of 1 orange
- 5 whole cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups raw broccoli florets
- Place steak in crockpot. Mix together beef broth and soy sauce; pour over the top. Zest the orange over the steak, then juice the orange into the crock. Top with garlic. Cook 5-6 hours on low.
- Thirty (30) minutes before serving combine cornstarch in a small bowl with ¼ cup cold water. Stir until smooth. Stir into crockpot. Place broccoli on top of steak. Cover and continue to cook on low 25-30 minutes until broccoli is tender. Serve over rice.