You can always tell when I’m beginning to run out of food and it’s a day or two before my weekly grocery shopping. I always meal plan and yet at least once or twice during the week I’ll get inspired or have a craving and veer away from the plan. That happened to me tonight. Dinner was supposed to be Cuban Rice & Beans which actually is really good but I just wasn’t feeling it. I wanted something like a calzone or those stromboli things I always see at the food court pizza place in the mall that look so good.
I dug through my freezer and fridge and found ham, cheese, potatoes, 3 scraggly looking carrots, and an onion. Thus my hot pockets were born! I got to work on making a sauce and filling and it came out great. However I ended up making, oh, I don’t know, about 2/3 too much. I stuffed my pockets super full, as you can see in the pictures which made them explode out the sides a bit, but I still had tons of sauce left. However I will be re-purposing that sauce into another dish later this week.
I’ll give you directions for enough to fill your calzones/hot pockets and not have the copious amounts leftover that I did.
- 1 smallish potato, peeled & cubed (1/2" or less)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled & sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons white rice flour
- pinch of pepper
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup half & half
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed ham
- prepared pizza pocket dough
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cover cookie sheet with parchment paper or silpat.
- Combine cubed potatoes and sliced carrots in saucepan and cover with water. Boil 10 minutes or until fork tender, remove from heat and drain.
- In 2 quart saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and saute onion until soft. Stir in rice flour and pepper and cook approximately 1 minute. Whisk in broth and half & half making sure there are no lumps. Cook and stir until mixture begins to boil. Remove from heat. Stir in cheddar cheese until melted.
- Stir potatoes, carrots, and ham cubes into cheese sauce.
- Roll out pizza pocket dough being sure you use plenty of starch or flour to prevent sticking. Place the bottom layer of dough on cookie sheet, fill each one with prepared sauce, top with dough and seal with fork and the egg wash.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown.