Day 56: Comfort food!
Artichokes, cheese, chickpeas, basil, and GF pasta come together into a wonderful creamy dish that makes me think of sophisticated mac n’ cheese.
Serve this with dinner rolls and a side salad and you’ve got yourself a meal. Or pack it up and make the vegetarians in your life a little happier that they actually have a main dish to safely eat at the next company potluck. This makes approximately 12 servings so it’s great when you have guests over. It reheats really well too so it makes nice leftovers.
My youngest wolfed it down because it was cheesy. Not once did she stop and ask me what the green was in it (the basil) or what the artichokes were. My oldest picked at it but he’s a strange one and does not like cheese. My husband and I had two servings because it was so addictive.
- 16 oz gluten free noodles, cooked al dente & drained. (I used Miller's Finest lasagna corte noodles which are like little mini lasagna noodles - we love that brand but we can only find it at Big Lots. A spiral or shell pasta would work really well here as well).
- 1 can artichokes, drained, rinsed, and chopped
- 1 can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ½ cup fresh chopped basil
- 1 egg
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup white rice flour
- 2 cups half & half
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1-2 cups shredded italian style cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In food processor or blender, blend chickpeas and approx ¼ cup of water. You want them to be mostly smooth but a few pieces of chickpeas here or there are OK. If you look at the picture above you can see 1 whole chickpea. If you need to entirely hide the chickpeas from your kids, use a bit more water until you get them blended entirely smooth.
- In medium bowl mix together artichokes, blended chickpeas, ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, basil, egg, and salt. Set aside.
- In 2 quart sauce pan over medium heat melt butter and saute garlic until softened, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in rice flour. Cook and stir for 2 minutes then slowly whisk in the half & half and broth making sure there are no lumps. Stir over medium heat until sauce thickens and bubbles. Remove from heat.
- In 3 quart ungreased baking dish spread about ½ cup of sauce on the bottom. Spread half the noodles into the baking dish, then layer with half the artichoke mixture, half the sauce, and desired amount of shredded italian cheese. Layer again with the rest of the noodles, the artichoke mixture, sauce, and then finally cover in italian cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-45 minutes until bubbling and cheese is beginning to brown. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.