I was perusing the internet last night. More like I was sucked into the internet really, not finding anything but unable to stop clicking. Eventually I clicked on this horrifying article about spiders taking over parts of Australia (here’s the link if you dare). What’s seen cannot be unseen! It made me all jittery and feeling like they were on me.
So I did what always gives me comfort and peace: I created a chocolate masterpiece.
So thank you freaky news story that I hope isn’t real! Don’t worry, if you clicked on that link you too can make awesome gluten free brownies that will carry your woes & fears away.
Let’s talk about these brownies. Everyone has a different idea of the “perfect” brownie. Some want fudge-like. Some want a cake texture. Nuts give texture or nuts ruin them. Crispy edges to the point of getting one of these cool all-edges brownie pans. Or only soft centers. My idea of the perfect brownie? Super fudgy, deep dark chocolate, chunks of chocolate mixed in, no nuts. If that’s your ideal brownie then….ta-da!
You will never need another brownie recipe. They are punch-you-in-the-face chocolately and very rich. Super moist and very fudge-like.
GREAT NEWS: They’re simple! Remember when you weren’t GF and you only needed 1 bag of flour to bake something? Well you get to recreate that ease with these gluten free brownies! They use only ONE flour! The only thing you need is finely ground almond flour. No starches or xanthan gum either. It really is just almond flour! They can also be hand mixed so no fancy mixer required.
Are you smiling? I am. I am truly sitting here typing this with a big grin on my face (it’d be kind of silly if it were on my arm or something…). I love sharing my recipes and easy, simple, awesomely chocolatey ones are the best kind to share! I wish all my readers were my neighbors so I could bake & then go door to door leaving little surprise gluten free gifts. How cool would that be?
- 3 tablespoons unrefined virgin coconut oil (use refined if you can't stand even a teensy smidge of coconut taste)
- 2-ounces bittersweet chocolate (mine was 60%)
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (I used Nestle)
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ⅔ cup finely ground almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8x8-inch baking pan with foil and grease the bottom and sides.
- In microwaveable measuring cup melt coconut oil, bittersweet chocolate, and dark chocolate until smooth. Set aside and let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl combine almond flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In medium bowl whisk or beat melted chocolate mixture with brown sugar until smooth. Whisk/beat in eggs (tip: beating longer here produces a shinier more pronounced crust on the brownies). Whisk in flour mixture, then vanilla extract. Stir in semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared baking pan. Bake 27-35 minutes just until set. Do not over bake!
- Cool in the pan completely before cutting into squares.
UPDATE: Cassandra at Cassandra Bakes made a paleo version of the recipe – I haven’t tried it but it looks great!