Do I even need to say anything about the recipe or can I just show you the pictures? I’m almost certain that title & food porn alone will do the talking 🙂
‘Nuff said, am I right?
Real quick though I need to give credit where credit is due. A reader told me about these muffins from The Cafe Sucre Farine blog saying how incredible they are and asking if I could make them gluten free. I happily obliged. My 1st batch was ugly because they didn’t rise and fell apart into a million pieces but they were delicious. My 2nd batch was a complete fail because I forgot to add the sugar!! Doh! Third time was the charm & my family has been happily noshing on these for the past few days. I suspect a fight might break out over the last one.
Other than the obvious change of making them gluten free I also made a few small other changes to the recipe. For one, I think I must be heavy handed with the streusel because I needed double to cover all mine, which is reflected in my version of the recipe below. Speaking of streusel, I only had pecans in the house so that’s what I used. Personally, I think caramel and pecans go together better than walnuts, but use whatever nut you like (or none at all). I also swapped out half of the oil for applesauce for 2 reasons: 1) I was feeling guilty about all the sugar and made myself feel better by doing a “healthier” oil combo and 2) I only had 1/4 cup oil left in the house.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup sorghum flour
- ¾ cup white rice flour
- ¾ cup tapioca flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1¾ cups chopped apple ~ 1 apple (peeled or unpeeled is up to you but I left mine unpeeled)
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- ⅔ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (I used pecans)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease and (rice) flour muffin tin or use paper liners (recipe makes approx 18 regular sized muffins)
- Combine sorghum flour, white rice flour, tapioca flour, almond flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl whisk together olive oil, applesauce, eggs, buttermilk, brown sugar, and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and stir until well combined. Fold in apple.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups ¾ full (or ¼ empty for you pessimists out there).
- Prepare streusel: In small bowl use a pastry blender or your fingers to combine butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle over the tops of the muffins, pressing it in very lightly.
- Bake 28-32 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan 5 minutes, then cool completely on wire rack.
- Prepare Icing: In microwave safe large measuring cup, combine brown sugar, butter, and milk. Microwave on high for 30 seconds, stir, then nuke for another 15 seconds. Whisk in vanilla and powdered sugar until smooth. Drizzle over cooled muffins (I used my whisk to drizzle it which worked pretty well).