Dust off the waffle maker, it’s time for stuffing!
Every year I make this cornbread stuffing recipe and a few days prior I make the cornbread, cut it up, and let it dry. I had a light bulb moment this time to make things a bit easier.
Man, was I worried! I wanted to try cooking the cornbread batter in my waffle maker instead of the oven. Sounds good in theory but I had visions of cursing and scraping tons of stuck on burnt cornbread off my waffle maker for hours.
I’m not a risk taker except in food. You won’t find me bungee jumping, riding roller coasters, and heck, I even avoid elevators. I’m a total scaredy-cat. But food? That’s when I try odd things and go out on a limb. So I went for it.
Ta-da! It worked! It was so easy cooking them, they didn’t stick at all, they were easier to cut up into cubes afterwards, and it was quick! Seriously, waffle makers do not get the kitchen cred they deserve. (Did you know you can cook muffin batter in them too for the best ever waffles? And of course there’s also my gluten free panko style bread crumbs recipe for the waffle maker as well.)
- 2½ cups gluten free cornmeal
- ½ cup sorghum flour
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup white rice flour
- ½ cup potato starch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder (yes, tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 1 teaspoon each dried sage & thyme
- 3 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
- Preheat the waffle maker.
- In large bowl combine dry ingredients (that's cornmeal all the way down to the herbs). Whisk in eggs and milk, then melted butter.
- Cook in waffle maker the same way you make waffles so follow your manufacturer's instructions. These cooked up a bit quicker than normal waffles for me (about 3 mins instead of the usual 4 mins for regular waffles).
- Cut waffles into small cubes and set out for several days to dry. Alternately you can also spread them out on a tray and set in a 200 degree oven for several hours stirring occasionally.
- Makes approximately 12 cups of croutons.