O-M-G, I created mall pretzels! Gluten free soft pretzels!!! I am so excited! I will use a lot of exclamations!!
They are, I swear, EXACTLY like a regular soft pretzel.
And….the dough is EASY to work with!! (Yes, more exclamations!!)
You can make any shape you want, including pretzel bites, pretzel buns, or even a pretzel man:
As you can see it appears to be a real pretzel. I FEEL THE URGE TO SHOUT FROM THE ROOF-TOPS!! WHEN YOU EAT ONE OF THESE YOU WILL TOO!! In a side by side comparison you would not be able to tell the difference between these GF pretzels and the ones you buy at the mall, Target, or the ballpark.
TIP: do not skip the baking soda “bath.” It’s what gives the pretzel its authentic texture (same goes for gluten pretzels).
Wonder what happens if you don’t do the bath?
My daughter did not want hers boiled (that’s a cat pretzel btw). See the astounding difference?
I have no idea why you are still sitting here reading this. Print the recipe and get moving because you are going to LOVE this recipe!
Oh wait! Storage! Everyone always wants to know about storage! You can store them in an air-tight plastic bag for 1-2 days on the counter. Reheat in the microwave for 15-20 seconds and they’ll taste like they just came out of the oven. Enjoy!!
- ½ cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 packet yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- ½ cup white rice flour
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- ¼ cup millet flour
- ¾ cup potato starch
- ⅔ cup tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature (alternatively set eggs in bowl of warm water while preparing other ingredients)
- ⅔ cup baking soda
- 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- pretzel or coarse kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cover baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In microwaveable measuring cup heat milk and butter to 110 degrees (approx 40 seconds on high). Pour into mixing bowl and whisk in yeast and sugar. Set aside to proof.
- In very small microwaveable bowl sprinkle gelatin over 1 tablespoon cold water, set aside.
- In small bowl combine white rice flour, brown rice flour, millet flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, and table salt.
- By this time the gelatin should be activated. Nuke in the microwave for 5-7 seconds, just long enough to get it liquid again. Beat gelatin and eggs into proofed yeast mixture. Slowly beat in flour mixture. Beat on medium speed 1-2 minutes until dough is well mixed and is pulling away from the sides of the bowl.
- Use tapioca starch to lightly flour your work surface. Pinch off balls of dough and roll into long ropes*. Form a "U" shape, twist the top ends together 2 times, then bring down to the bottom of the "U" to form a traditional pretzel shape. (Click here for a picture tutorial)
- Prepare baking soda bath: In very large pot combine 10 cups of water with ⅔ cup baking soda. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Gently slide pretzel into the simmering water. Cook 1 minute, flip and cook another minute. Remove with slotted spoon or spatula and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Brush egg wash over the tops of the pretzels and sprinkle with pretzel salt. Bake 15-18 minutes until deep golden brown. Allow to cool on wire rack.